Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stepping Out with Breast Cancer Luncheon

Today I had the privilege to attend a beautiful luncheon focused on raising funds for the breast centers at North Arundel Hospital (now called Baltimore-Washington Hospital) and Anne Arundel Hospital. A few months ago, before my own diagnosis, my college roommate Lynn, sent me an invite since this topic is near and dear to both of us (both of our moms had died from breast cancer). I had put it aside not sure what I wanted to do since it was taking place an hour away and with our house for sale, I was never sure when I would be called to action to get the house ready and the dogs out the door. Lynn reminded me about it last week and after all that has been going on, I decided it would be a good thing. Lillie Shockney, a breast cancer survivor and director of the Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center was going to be the speaker.

What a beautiful thing to hear that 14 women (those that belong to this group) put on such a fabulous event! There were multiple vendors, all donating a percentage of their sales to the cause and over 150 women attending the event. Every table featured pink flowers and mylar pink ribbon and celebrate the cause balloons. There were lovely "goodie bags" for every guest and the lunch was delicious.

Lillie was a dynamic speaker who made us laugh and cry with the story of her personal journey. As a fellow nurse, there was so much I could relate to. When I left today, I felt energized again to move forward toward the next steps in getting this all behind me. Many thanks to Lynn for reminding me of the event. When I wear the cap she gave me, I will always know that there is love and strength supporting me every day through this heinous process.

No comments: