Monday, September 15, 2008

The Beginning

There is always a beginning to every story, a prequel, and multiple epilogues. This is my story, dedicated to my wonderful family, my support and anchor - my dear sweet husband and best friend of 31 years, David, and my two beautiful daughters, Rachel (24) and Carol (27).

On Friday, September 5, 2008, my world was rocked. I received the diagnosis I had been dreading ever since my own mother was diagnosed with breast cancer 25 years ago: DCIS Left Breast, .3 cm, Grade 1, micropapillary.

Should I say I was surprised? Not really. After I saw the mammogram that led to the additional mammograms, ultrasound, and stereotactic biopsy, all in the same week, I saw the "explosion of the microcalcifications". This mammogram seemed to match the mammograms with the same diagnosis on the Internet.

When the radiologist shared the news, very tactfully, and in a kind way, I was numb. My body started to shake, and the tears welled in my eyes. Luckily for me, I was in my work office, and the door was closed. I could be emotional in the privacy I so desperately needed.

My first reaction was to go online and look up everything he said on one of the great breast cancer websites I had found earlier in the week. The pathology was clearly explained (http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/path_report/). Then when I felt I was armed with the answers that I knew my family would seek, I called my husband.

David, as expected, was very sad. He assured me that "we" would do what needed to be done to get well again. He was definitely part of the team. For years, I had asked him what he would do if I lost a breast like my mom. And for years, he replied that nothing was more important than my health, and whatever needed to be done should and would be done. After all, as partners for 31 years, we had made a pact that we would love each other for better or for worse, in sickness and in health. He's the kind of guy that would never break a promise, nor reneg on a contract. But, in truth, we are still in love with each other, have a lot of fun together, and after all these years, still "like" each other too. He is the one constant that I know will always be my side no matter where this journey takes me.

-=-=-=-=-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I arrived at the office this morning with a head full of business deadlines and a day full of meetings. Reading your first entry pushed all that into the background. Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and for the courage it takes to share them - reminding us of what really matters and how precious life, health and family are.