Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday - One Week Later

Wow..I'm far behind on blogging this week. Last Monday, I went to the oncologist. She is a young fiesty spirited woman who felt strongly that I went to the very best breast surgeon around and that my chances for recurrence will be significantly reduced by going the radiation, Tamoxifen, AND...a new addition...having an oophorectomy route. This is all in light of my strong family history of female hormone-related cancers.

She said there is no need to move on the surgery immediately, but we'll talk again about it in January, after the radiation treatments are finished, to decide the next course of treatment. At first, I was really kind of taken aback. Getting your organs removed is not a "light" surgery no matter how they do it. In addition, would it be best to just have all of it removed? After all, I hear that Tamoxifen can cause weird side effects to your uterus too.

So I set out to find some answers this week, and all health personnel agreed a total hysterectomy with oophorectomy is the way to go. It can be done laparoscopy for reduced trauma. Of course, it's unknown whether insurance will pay for it, but that won't be a deciding force. Health comes first!

Speaking of doctors, I also had my post-surgery visit. Since the incision is already healed...talk about fast, I've been released, and frankly, while I really liked the surgeon, this is one person I hope NEVER to see again, at least not in medical wear.

This week I go to the genetics counselor. It should be interesting. According to the surgeon and oncologist, the geneticist has the ability to search nationwide databanks to make informed recommendations. Even if I don't test positive for a known gene defect causing breast cancer, it does not mean that there isn't a gene defect. It may not have been discovered yet. So my participation is one of the ways to help these kind of discoveries. In the meantime, the geneticist works with the oncologist to recommend the most successful treatments based on others with similar backgrounds, health problems, and treatment plans. It sounds like a win-win. For anyone reading this who wonders if the genetics counsler is covered under insurance, it is NOT. However, the fee of $150 for the counseling, possible payment of the blood work (could cost $1000), and a month wait for the results could mean the difference of a more successful outcome. At this point, my goal is to prevent recurrence as much as possible! There is never a price on personal health that is not worth investing in, at least at this point in my life.

As for the other aspects of my life, I was happy to get back to work this week. Thinking about other things besides health is not mental reprieve. Working from home was helpful, however, as I realized my stamina isn't where it was before this started, but it's darn close.

Still no bites on our house or lookers this week, but we're not giving up hope. With the state of the economy, can I blame anyone for not wanting to spend money right now? Our timing has never been quite right...we have historical experience with that..haha.

That's it for now. More after the geneticist visit. Have a great week!

No comments: