Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Radiation Simulation - Not a Joy Ride

After the happy moments last Thursday, I headed off to Radiation for the simulation. This is where they position you and draw the markings they need to properly irradiate your breast. In my case, I will have 33 treatments daily (except for Saturday and Sunday).

So they call me to the back and have me go into this dressing room that reminds me of the gym and I have to take off everything from the waist up. Then I'm guided into a waiting room of chairs lining the walls, a lonely TV hanging from a hook and set on One Life to Live, and a lot of cancer magazines. I tried to talk to this lady who walked in a little after me, but she was not very friendly so I just waited nervously and hoped someone would come get me soon.

About 15 minutes later, I was led into a room with a thin metal table with a form that looked like I would be sitting on an angle. So I hop up on this table, which barely is the width of my bodacious body and get into position. I had to put my arms in these boxes over my head and hold onto handles (kind of like a kinky movie or stretching table if you can picture that). My tush was against this hard form so I was in a sitting type position and a hard pillow was under my knees. My head was flat against the metal table and I had to maintain this position for well over an hour while they marked my chest up like a bad Picasso print with Sharpie markers. The markers, in all different colors, ended up staining my $70 bra. It was grueling to stay in that position that long, and I moved slightly after warning them. They were NOT happy. Too bad. I'm a human. Anyway, they ended this torture session with putting 7 tattoos on me for permanent marking - 2 on the good breast and 5 on the affected breast. I can't begin to imagine why any normal person would CHOOSE to have a tattoo!

Next Thursday, I start the real stuff. Oh joy oh joy!

No comments: