Wednesday, October 22, 2008

All Good News Day!

My genetic test for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutated gene came back a week early, just in time for my radiation visit today, and the good news is that I do not have that genetic problem! This is not just good news, it is wonderful!

I don't have to have the prophylactic bilateral mastectomy because my risks have dropped back to the "normal" of others with DCIS. However, the oncologist told me even if the test did come back normal, I should still have the oophorectomy to rid my body of the estrogen that feeds the type of cancer I had. The radiologist suggested I use this oncology gynecological surgeon that I've heard great things about for my oophorectomy/hysterectomy. He's in the same hospital system.

The best part of this test result is that Carol and Rachel can relax a bit. Of course, they must be aware of breast changes, but it won't haunt and scare them. That's a nice gift indeed!

The radiation visit went very well too. The radiologist was very patient in answering our many questions, as you hope they would all be, but many are not. Tomorrow I go back to the radiologist for the simulation visit at 2 PM. During that visit, the doctor positions me on the x-ray table, puts my arms in some position and then tattoos my breast where the radiation beam should go. Then it takes about a week to figure out the plan and then start the daily treatments - 28 to my entire left breast followed by five directly to the lumpectomy site. I go Monday through Friday, 1/2 hour each day, for these daily treatment. Only side effects that I might experience are fatigue and redness of the skin. Doesn't sound too bad.

No comments: