Saturday, November 1, 2008

Nothing is as They Tell You

I believe that nothing is really as they tell you. It's really more of an average. For example, I didn't expect SEVEN tattoos. I get into my first day of daily treatment, and it turns out the one of the main tattoos on my bad breast is 3" off. EXCUSE ME? That's not a small difference. Anyway, I now have tattoo number 8. So I told my hubby that I had a special surprise for him last night when he came home from a business trip. I gave him a pen and told him to connect the dots. Not funny...but you gotta laugh it off, right?

Going back a little, after radiation day one, I go home and notice they put some tape over two of the tattoos at the base of the bad breast. I pulled it off because after the simulator, they left on some things they told me to take off at home. Well, I got issued a new "youknowwhat" on that one. Per the rad tech, "Didn't I tell you yesterday NOT to take those off? Now we have to do it again. Hrummph."

Everything up to the radiation therapy had been going very well. But I must say, I haven't been impressed with this part. I told the tech that my skin was already pink, and she says "Impossible, no one gets pink this early." So I start justifying myself, which is ridiculous, and say "I've got extremely fair skin and always burn quickly so never say never." She then gets a bit of an attitude and I tell her, "Listen, this may be old hat for you doing this everyday, but for me this is new. I may not remember everything you tell me, and not everyone fits the mold of what you think it should be like for them." She later apologized for being a jerk (jerk=terse in her dictionary).

I hope this radiation experience gets better...cause it sure isn't what I thought it would be, and I'm normally pretty easy going and witty. I see the radiologist on Monday and he and I are going to have a little discussion about all of this.

No comments: