Tuesday, June 18, 2013

To Continue or Not to Continue...That is the Question


I'm less than 6 months away from the end of the Tamoxifen Hormone Therapy.  I have been looking forward to January 9, 2014 for a long time.  While I haven't had severe reactions to the medication, I have experienced all the symptoms of estrogen depletion, and some are not all that comfortable.  It has been fun to imagine all the positive changes once the therapy ends.  So, you can imagine my surprise when the oncologist suggested moving forward with another 5 year course of Tamoxifen or another similar medication after this first course completes.

Her logic makes sense.  New studies support extended hormone therapy to reduce the risk of recurrence with death for those of us who have had DCIS.  Even though the percentage is small, no one knows which person is going to be in that cohort. Why take the risk if I did so well with the Tamoxifen?  The other medication causes Osteoporosis, so I would need to have more dexascans done to stay on top of it,

She says we'll discuss it again in October when I go back for my next visit. I will have had a new dexa scan and mammogram just before that visit, and we'll make the decision at that time.

If any of you have been presented with this option, I'd love to hear what you have done and why?  Happy Summer!

No comments: