Friday, July 24, 2009

Just When You Think Your Head is on Straight...

This week has been a rough one from an emotional point of view. I was thinking I was really settled about the breast cancer impact on my life, and then a woman my age in my community, with children who are the same age and friends of my children, dies of breast cancer. She and I were acquaintances. We would always say hello and make small talk when we bumped into each other, but her death threw me for a loop.

Combining that with other stressors, I started to sob last night...for two hours. I couldn't stop crying. Poor David did not know what to do to comfort me. My dogs climbed on my lap and licked my tears. I was inconsolable, and finally, the last drop fell, and I was totally drained, exhausted, and feeling like some of the pent-up angst that has been following me since my diagnosis last September was gone. Cathartic for sure, but also for sure to happen again.

I HATE this disease. It robs families and communities and steals your courage. It takes your free spirit away with the worry that this "beast" is lurking somewhere.

No comments: