Monday, October 4, 2010

Race for the Cure 2010


On Friday, I had my 2nd survivor year mammogram and all was good! This was the first time in years I only needed one set of films and now I don't have to go back for another year. So sweet! Prior to the exam, I made a promise to myself that if all was well, I'd participate in the Race for the Cure. Oh...way before, I had signed up and had received my dark pink t-shirt with the words Survivor on it, but could not get the nerve to go. But now I had no excuse. All was going well. I had a lot to be grateful for and it was time to show it!

My dear friend, Sharon, kept encouraging me to go with her. She had participated for the past 3 years, and found it to be an inspiring event. So at 5:45 AM yesterday, we headed off to the local Lowe's to catch a shuttle bus to the event. It was dark and cold, but so exciting! There were tents everywhere. Women dressed in pink as survivors and white as supporters.
At 6:40 AM, all the survivors walked together in between 2 pink ribbons toward a large grandstand, where we were each given a beautiful pink rose. All of us had the number of years of survival in pink ribbons on our hats, and together many of us cried as we stood together and looked out at all the people who offered their love and support to all of us who had heard the devestating diagnosis and endured the many different treatment paths. I cried for my mother and others, who was not fortunate enough to be alive now when all these wonderful diagnostic tools and treatments were available. I also cried in happiness that someone like Nancy Brinker had the motivation, knowledge, and connections to make breast cancer survival a priority and has not faltered a day in making it a reality through the Susan B. Komen foundation.
Thousands and thousands of supports and survivors ran or walked together (see picture). At the end, I was encouraged to walk on the left side of the road and instead of pink ribbons, there were rows of people slapping my hands in celebration. It was a beautiful moment and beautiful day.


No comments: