Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Changes are Forever

I'm still feeling like I'm in a good place in my life. My health has been stable for a few months. I really like my new job - the commute is much less stressful; the work is interesting; and the people are lovely.

In two months, I am looking forward to attending my oldest daughter's MBA graduation in Chicago. I'll meet up with a fellow breast cancer survivor, who happens to be the aunt of my daughter's boyfriend, and whom I've gotten to know during this past year, as I supported her through her journey with surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. We'll both hug and feel grateful we can share in a joyous family occasion together - celebrating the spirit of living with the breast cancer diagnosis behind us.

In the beginning, I thought about the cancer every hour of every day. Survivors told me it would get better. It was hard to imagine at the time. I sought the solace of support groups and read anything I could get my hands on regarding my diagnosis, treatment, physical and psychological outcomes. I was consumed, and the knowledge eased my angst.

Slowly, as the seasons changed, the focus turned toward living and not just surviving. Sure, there are days when I think of what it was like, but more days I think of what will be - the future, retirement, grandchildren...all those things I've always dreamed about.

So, if you are reading this and just starting your journey, be assured that time does bring forth joy in the morning, and that what you are going through now will hopefully be a distant memory as the months roll by. And if you find you need a little extra support, email me at joannklein@gmail.com. Pay it forward...the dividends are priceless.

No comments: