Thursday, April 9, 2009

Six Months Follow-Up

Today was six month post-cancer diagnosis visit to the oncologist. Since the radiation ended, I've been having swelling in my left armpit every morning. I realized, through all my reading, that pain in the breast after radiation was really quite normal, so those pains have not scared me. The oncologist was not concerned at all. She palpated my armpit and told me that my lymph nodes were NOT enlarged, and that it is really quite common to have axilla (armpit) pain after radiation.
My blood work came back normal in all areas, and she is pleased with how I'm doing with the Tamoxifen. My breast is still a little red and a little warm from the radiation, which she says is also common, and no, it is NOT IBC. That was a relief.

My next appointment is scheduled in 6 months, one week after my next mammogram. Lots to celebrate...all is going as good as it can get!

2 comments:

Lisa V. said...

Jo Ann,
I am glad to see you blogging again. I came upon your blog after I was diagnosed with DCIS 10/08 and I wondered how you have been doing. I've not kept up with the blog I started either. I'm sorry to hear you've had skin problems from the radiation. I chose lumpectomy and radiation for my treatment as well. So far, so good. I notice the aerola stays a little swollen, and occasional sharp, brief breast pain, but then again, I've had breast pain like that prior to being diagnosed with DCIS. I started tamoxifen mid-March, and so far have only seen how it is going to intensify PMS symptoms (no fun at all!!!), but no hot flashes yet. I will be thinking of you when my husband and I walk in the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure walk in Tucson this coming Saturday. Best wishes to you and your husband, and God bless, Lisa V.

Jo Ann said...

Thank you for your wonderfully supportive post Lisa! I hope your walk went well and things continue to go well for you!


Hugs,
Jo Ann